Chocolate Sundae Poke Cake is the perfect make-ahead treat to bring out the kid in everyone!
I made this cake for a dinner party. We were digging in our pieces, ready to inhale this delectable dessert. A few bites in, it hit me. Something went wrong. I couldn’t taste chocolate. All I tasted was dinner seasoning! All of the sudden I startled everyone and said, “Does this taste funny to you guys?” Yes. “Oh my gosh. Stop eating! I messed up! I used flavored olive oil in my cake mix!” Palm to the forehead moment!
I usually use olive oil instead of vegetable oil in my cake mixes, but this time, I had poured a flavored olive oil (and didn’t pay attention to the label before adding it to my decorative olive oil container that I use) into the cake. It sadly went straight to the garbage can. It was nasty!
I redeemed myself and made it a second time and it was a MEGA hit! So, now you need to make it, too.
Now, go bake your cake and share it around!
Chocolate Sundae Poke Cake
adapted from Life Love & Sugar
- Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake mix – fixed according to packaged instructions (usually oil, water and eggs)
- 14 oz Low Fat Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 16 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- dark chocolate syrup
- rainbow sprinkles
- mini chocolate chips
- maraschino cherries
- (optional) peanuts
- Bake the chocolate cake in a 13 x 9 inch pan, that has been covered in parchment paper and sprayed with oil. As soon as it comes out of the oven, poke holes all over the cake. Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, heat the condensed milk and chocolate chips until melted (about 40-60 seconds). Pour over the warm cake. Allow the cake to cool slightly before chilling in the fridge.
- Next, make the whipped topping by beating the heavy whipping cream until it reaches soft peaks. Beat in the vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks. Spread over the cooled cake.
- Decorate the cake with chocolate syrup, rainbow sprinkles, mini chocolate chips and cherries.